The Florida Orchestra Teaching Artist program began as a partnership with Pinellas County Schools to bring highly qualified musicians and teachers to the Tampa Bay area. The pilot program included the hiring of a violin teaching artist position who both worked with teachers and students in area string programs, as well as performed with The Florida Orchestra as an extra musician.
The Florida Orchestra Teaching Artist program enhances string programs in public schools through a rich connection with The Florida Orchestra. What sets our Teaching Artists apart is the quality of musicianship they offer classrooms. Demonstration of professional instrument tone and technique can exponentially increase the level of musicianship a strings program aspires to. Teaching Artists also provide classroom support and professional development to string teachers at all levels, and support students’ development and potential for achievement through mentorship.
As part of the program, Pinellas County orchestra programs can apply to receive intensive instruction as a TFO Partner School.
2020/2021 TFO Partner Schools
- Clearwater High School, Angel De Armas
- Osceola Middle School, Anthony Atkinson
2019/2020 TFO Partner Schools
- Boca Ciega High School, Joseph Sipiora
- Clearwater High School, Michael Sopko
- Northeast High School, Michael Fox
- Seminole Middle School/Seminole High School, Keeley Werly, Steven Harris
2018/2019 TFO Partner Schools
- Clearwater Fundamental Middle School, Sophie Trottier
- Lakewood High School, Michael Kernodle
- Palm Harbor High School, James Dykes
2017/2018 TFO Partner Schools
- Dunedin High School, Ian Black
- Tarpon Springs Middle School, Diane Suris
- Thurgood Marshall Fundamental Middle School, Meghan Lance